Monday, August 31, 2009

Wisdom and Experience

Commitment 

On my six hour journey to North Platte and back this week I had a lot of time to think, which can sometimes be scary.

Last week we had a major change in our office - eight fine ladies retired from the Association. As our CEO talked about each of them he mentioned that together they represented more than 200 years of combined experience. The longest retiree had been there 45 years. Can you imagine the changes in computer equipment, staffing, EPDs, registration papers, etc. that she would have seen over those 45 years?

What made me think even more was would I ever spend even five years committed to an organization let along 45? There doesn't seem to be a real accurate number out there, but I have heard that young people (like me) will change jobs 3-7 times in their lifetime. I have been in the workforce less than two years, and although I am still working for the same organization, I have already changed jobs switching from Angus Productions Inc. to the Association.

Maybe its that my generation just moves faster, we get bored easier and we aren't afraid to pick up, move and take advantage of new opportunities. However, there has to be something said about the commitment that these retiring ladies had. Obviously, they were happy and satisfied with their level of growth and enjoyed their work place, or they would have left sooner. And that probably says something about the company.

All just things to ponder when you are driving across Nebraska!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...