Monday, September 7, 2009

Image doesn't matter...

but really its does.

How many times have we been told it doesn't matter what others think. It's not how you look, it's what's on the inside that counts. People are opened minded, they don't prejudge.

Well although these statements hold some truth and make you feel all warm and fuzzy, the real truth is image dose matter. I'll be honest and say that I always have cared what other people think. I am conscience of the decisions I make, and take other's perceptions of me pretty seriously.  I know that business is about your smarts, intuition and who you know. So one day when an opportunity is becomes available I want that potential client or employee remembers me as intelligent,  driven and industry savvy. It doesn't mean that I kiss butt or don't have any fun, it just means that I am aware of my image.

Recently, I found a great website called Brand-Yourself.com, and they have a pretty good blog. Today's article was how we use social media and how it can portray what we represent. When I post on Facebook, my blog or make comments on other social networking site people are forming an opinion about me. The author, Brenden Wales, makes some really good points:

The question what do you represent is vital to your future success and happiness. Here is what goes through a recruiter’s head when they see your Facebook picture of your recent record-setting keg-stand?

“Nice form, but is his unique ability to drink 50 fluid ounces of ice cold Natty Light really going to make him a great Financial Analyst?” (Midway through the thought, your beautiful resume on bone-colored 32 lb. paper with a barely visible watermark falls into the trash-can, never to be seen again by that organization)
This picture may be good for a beer-tap inventor, but not for a financial analyst applicant for Goldman Sachs. You are representing your ability to party, not your potential to become an industry-leading business executive."
And...
"Your Personal Branding efforts will pay off huge dividends and your social status on Facebook will not falter due to your lack of drunken images."

Something to keep in mind. Hope you are all having an awesome long weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks girl, it is one of my favorites! I think there is a lot of truth to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...