Friday, July 9, 2010

The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth

Can I get a Yahooooo!

Today the Calgary Stampede starts, and I am not there, nor will I be there for any of it, and I am a little sad about that. This year the greatest 10 days of summer is falling right on top of one of the biggest events for my company (more on that in the coming days).

I was pretty lucky growing up, Stampede was like the state fair for me. My family would exhibit cattle there, quite often my cousin had qualified for the chuckwagon races, I usually knew a few of the people in the rodeo, lots of our family members served on committees and my grandpa was Barn Boss for numerous years. This all meant that we pretty much got behind the scenes entry to everything.

Once, I was in college the impact of the Stampede really hit me. People may have not know much about Canada, or Alberta for that matter, but they knew about the Stampede. I interned two years in the Agriculture Department, which gave me an even greater appreciation for those 10 days. In those 10 days it is quite possible the only time consumers come into contact with agriculture. Many have never seen a cow before, they think their bacon comes from a grocery store, and they have no idea all the products another than oil that canola can produce. The Stampede does an excellent job of educating the consumers, and giving them a taste of the country. This interaction is only going to become more important.

I would encourage you to check out their facebook page there are lots of cool interactive tools. And if you ever make the trip be sure to let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to go to the Stampede...someday!!

    Side note, have you and I met before in person? i'm trying to figure it out... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Farmer's Trophy WifeJuly 09, 2010

    Yahoo!! and for good measure...YeeHaw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you go you are going to have to let me know. I think we have some mutual friends. Perhaps Jen Albrecht married now? You were maybe an NCBA intern with a bunch of K-Staters one year or I have it completely wrong hehe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...