Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Butter Cows and Pork Chops on a Stick

Iowa State Fair

This past weekend I headed across the state line to the Iowa State Fair, and trust me the people of Iowa like to tell you how big of a deal it is. It's the state fair of all state fairs, and it did a pretty good job of living up to it's reputation.

The boy was showing Herefords so inbetween working on the cattle and tack box socializing he showed me the finer aspects of the fair.

First stop the butter cow.


Yes, this is a cow made of butter, and accompying her were two Dr. Suess butter statues. According to www.iowastatefair.com this is a tradition that has been taking place since the 1900s. Each year the breed of the dairy cow changes, this year it was a Jersey cow. 600 lbs. of butter is used to make the statue. 600 lbs. of butter could butter 19,200 of slices of toast. Don't worry the Iowa State Fair is environmentally friendly and resuses much of the butter. I don't know whether to say good for them or ew.

Another must have at the fair a pork chop on a stick. Jon's parents took me over to the Iowa Pork stand for this state fair food item, and I must say it was delicious. The people ahead of us in line, and yes there was a line, said that is the only reason they come to the fair each year. If a pork chop isn't your thing don't worry the Iowa State Fair has more than 50 items on sticks for your consuming pleasure. Click here for the full list.

I also thought I better post a little corn since I haven't been able to do my corn report for awhile. This is actually a variety of popcorn. Fun fact of the day, did you know a popcorn kernal won't pop if there is a dent it in. Thank you Butler Community College Crop Science class.


And finally I have been getting some requests on seeing a picture of this boy that I reference too. Well here you go.


Just working on some Hereford cattle. He had a great day at the show, exhibiting the Reserve Champion Horned Bull, and had second in class with his bred heifer. I can't wait to be back there again next year.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you had fun at the Iowa State Fair!! You are right, we Iowans like to brag about our fair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You WOULD show a faceless picture! Goodness...I request a picture of Jon's face, preferably with you in it too! Thanks for sharing a couple Iowa pics - the butter cow - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about the butter cow! Awesome to actually see a picture. So cool girl, thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your welcome. The gal the sculpts the cow was an apprentice before she got to become the main sculptor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A butter cow...that's amazing...but not as amazing as a pork chop on a stick.

    You are hilarious! I second Robyn's request for a picture with a face in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, you girls crack me up. We have a road trip coming up so we'll see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...