Monday, April 23, 2012

Hunk of Meat Monday: Beef Kabob and Grilled Pineapple

Time to start grilling. 

I love the Pottery Barn turquoise
platter
we got as a wedding gift.
The Boy and I were so excited to get a portable grill for our wedding, and so of course we had to test it out as soon as we got home from our honeymoon.

On our shuttle ride to the airport our bus driver saw the box pineapples that we had with us. He said his favorite way to enjoy pineapple was to chuck off big slices, brush some olive oil on it, sprinkle with salt and pepper and grill. He was definitely right it was delicious.

Delicious Hawaii Pineapple
However, we also knew that we needed something to go along with our pineapple, and beef kabobs sounded like the perfect pairing. We used sirloin, since it is one of the 29 lean cuts of beef, and I found this recipe online at Taste of Home.

Pineapple Beef Kabobs

  • 1 can (6 ounces) pineapple juice
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce - I used the low sodium kind
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar 
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger - I used fresh, but I am sure powdered would work great to
  • 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch pieces - cuts from the round would work too. 
  • 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks - we didn't add these since we were grilling pineapple
  • 12 large fresh mushrooms
  • 1 larger green pepper
You could also add onions, yellow or red peppers. Whatever your family will gobble down. Kabobs are always nice with some rice or a salad as well. 

I love this website for
finding the right beef cuts
for recipes.
Mix the first six ingredients, and pour 3/4 of the marinade into a zip lock bag or a container that you can use for marinating. Add the beef and allow it to marinade in your fridge for at least an hour. Since we used sirloin we did the hour minimum, but if you pick one of the round cuts you'll want to let it marinade for a bit longer. You'll use the remaining marinade for basting. 

While the meat is marinading don't forget to let your wooden skewers soak so they don't burn on the grill. 

Once the meat is marinaded throw it away. Add the vegetables and beef to the skewers, this can be the tricky part. The boy and I like our meat down medium-rare, so that means that our vegetables could have used a little more time on the grill. I think next time although they may not be as pretty we'll do some skewers just with beef, and the others just with vegetables. Total grilling time is about 10 minutes. Make sure you turn often, and keep on basting with the saved marinade.   


Boom you have supper. And check out these nutritional facts that Taste of Home provided:
2 kabobs with 3/4 cup rice equals 412 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 534 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 31 g protein.


8 comments:

  1. Girl -- we were on the same page last night! http://cowscorncountry.blogspot.com/2012/04/weekend-wrap.html

    Mark and I whipped up some kabobs too & we even cooked them up on our portable grill and served them on our turquoise dishes. I am actually currently eating my leftovers for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, that looks so good! Yes, grilling time sure is here. Well, we grill year round even with snow on the ground, but now we can stay out there longer with it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by my blog, I will have to start reading yours. The kabobs look good, please cook me some :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you stopped by. I really enjoy a lot of the scripture on your blog.

      Delete
  4. Definitely one of our favorite meals! We love grilled pineapple too...delish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look real good. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!! Looks great on that beautiful platter! I bet they were tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I can't wait for it to be warm enough to start grilling again! These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...