Wednesday, August 22, 2012

101 Update: Pinterest do and don't recipes

Working on my inner DIYer.

Who is a Pinterest fanatic? I am, I am, I am. A big part of my addiction is the recipe section. And since trying 10 new recipes was a 101 in 1001 goal of mine Pinterest was the perfect place to scope out new recipes.

However, things don't always turn out like those perfect food photography shots. So here a few ratings on my latest Pinterest recipe tries.






                                                                   Source: crystalcattle.blogspot.com via Crystal on Pinterest


Raspberry Delight: A++++
This recipe has been so far my biggest Pinterest success. I have made it twice already and people are asking for it again. Winner. You can find the recipe here.

                                                                        Source: treehugger.com via Crystal on Pinterest




Balsamic and Brown Sugar Grilled Strawberries: B
They were ok. I think I'll stick with grilling peaches as my fruit of choice. They kind of tasted like strawberry jam, and they make your grill really sticky.

                                                                Source: frostedbakeshop.blogspot.com via Crystal on Pinterest


Watermelon and Strawberry Lemonade: A
I forgot to take a picture of this when I made it, but I loved this recipe. (Maybe it was the vodka I added). It is a little unusual to drink watermelon. There is definitely a texture to the drink, but I really enjoyed it.

                                                                 Source: livinglight58.blogspot.com via Crystal on Pinterest


Rachel Ray's Southwestern Chili Con Queso Pasta Bake: B+
The recipe was pretty good, but not nearly as good as the picture looked. It makes a huge quantity so in our two person household we had tons of leftovers. Also, it definitely has some kick to it. I would probably turn back the amount of jalepeno I and chili powder used next time.

                                                                          Source: sixsistersstuff.com via Crystal on Pinterest


Crock Pot Cheesy Ravioli Recipe: C
I was hoping this recipe would really turn out and would be a good option for me to make at the state fair. However, I don't think this recipe tasted any better than boiling Ravioli and pouring sauce on top of it. I cooked the recipe the minimum amount of time and it was still quite mushy. This won't be a repeat recipe in our house. 

What Pinterest successes have you had? Did you know that there is a website called Pinterst Fail? Definitely worth checking out. 

Also, there has been a lot of discussion on my blog post yesterday about USDA School Lunches. I hope you'll check it out and weigh in. Happy Wednesday! 

7 comments:

  1. As you know, I love to Pin and recipes are my favorite. If you are looking for state-fair worthy food, I made My Cheatin' Heart Lasagna using those little ravioli and it was outrageously good...plus, it takes 10 minutes or less to assemble then you just toss it in the oven.

    We have so many fresh BC Raspberries out right now, I can't wait to try your raspberry desert!

    ~Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, here's the link:

    My Cheatin' Heart Lasagna:
    http://urbancountrystyle.com/2012/05/23/my-cheatin-heart-lasagna/

    ~Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always happy to have a review---positive or negative---just a good ol honest review. While I don't have my own pinterest account, I certainly do peruse. There is some recipe on there about pulled buffalo chicken, which is essentially Frank's hot sauce, bag of chicken breasts (dump it in frozen) and a package of dry ranch dressing...the recipe is AWESOME! It's a lil spicy, but so good, and awesome with nachos the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always amazes me what recipes get favorable ratings and then don't make the cut at our home - disappointing! But I love getting new recipes to add to the standby favorites. You've mentioned state fair/cattle show food - I'd love some ideas! I really get in the 'same old, same old' routine when packing/freezing food for a show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ravioli...I don't know what the recipe was, but a friend of mine in TX made a lasagna using store bought ravioli between the layers of red sauce (marinara/meat) and cheese. She and I sold casseroles at a Chamber of Commerce holiday fair and this is what she sold. I heard nothing but good things.

    I need to try some new recipes. I get in a rut after trying new ones and they aren't the excellence I had hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making the raspberry delight for a cookout today! Thanks for the review and recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...