Monday, January 5, 2015

The Bachelor: Real Bachelor Farmers

Tonight is the night. The Bachelor Season 19 is airing tonight. Why is this season so important? Well because the Bachelor, Chris Soules is a farmer and he farms 30 miles north of our Iowa farm. But what if you missed out on your opportunity to date a farmer on reality TV? No worries #bachelornation I have found two eligible bachelors that fit the farmer bill. Yes, real life farmers that are quite the catch. Introducing my two friends and your potential next date John and Mark! Just because a guy loves farming doesn't mean he doesn't know have to get off the farm every once in awhile. However, beware. It find a true farmer you know their number one passion will be agriculture. (And if you are looking to meet some awesome agriculture ladies read about two more friends here.) 

I met John a couple years ago because his brother was interested in a heifer we were selling. There are actually for Knutson boys and a sister. John has a passion for agriculture, loves traveling and has an awesome family. He would make a fantastic farming bachelor! 



John Knutson
Age: 28
Where are you from: Hartland, MN 

How are you involved in agriculture?
Our family has a grain farm, we grow corn and soybeans. I also raise a few crossbred cattle and pigs!

What is one thing about yourself that would surprise people? 

I love studying everything related to finance! Whether it’s trading grain futures or following the price swings in stocks, bonds or currencies, nothing fascinates me more than finance. (Follow John on Twitter at @JohnKnutson, he posts lots of his finds there)

Favorite activity off the farm?
Traveling! I love to travel, especially internationally. I’ve had the privilege to travel to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, London and Paris. It seems the more you travel, the more you realize there are so many amazing places you want to travel to next.

Favorite activity on the farm?
Combining corn, by far!!! Nothing compares to working all year towards the goal of a bountiful harvest and then being able to sit in the combine and see that hard work pay off.

If a girl is to date a farmer what one piece of advice would you have for her?Be patient. Farming isn’t just a career, it’s a lifestyle. It is unlike any other job where work is from 9-5 and weekends are free. Farmers can work for weeks upon weeks straight without having time off. During the busy harvest and planting times I think the most important thing for a girl to do is to be patient with a farmers’ seasonal schedule. Also, be creative! ProTip: I’ve never met a guy who wouldn’t absolutely love it if his girlfriend asked if she could ride along in the tractor with him.

Favorite quote?
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The LORD is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” (Lamentations 3:22-24)

For me this quote has really help me get through long difficult days working on the farm when it just seems nothing is going right. Just knowing God loves me and is always faithful, even when I can’t see God’s plan in difficult circumstances! 

Mark and I got to be good friends through Herefords, the breed of cattle we raise. Him and my husband are also good friends. Mark was even around when we first started dating. He loves sports, loves cattle and offer the perfect combination of city life and agriculture. 


Mark Sullivan
Age: 30 
Where did you grow up and where do you live now? I grew up in Western Washington in a small town called Chehalis. I attended the University of Washington is Seattle and for the last seven years have lived in Edmond/Oklahoma City.
Occupation: Financial Advisor with Merrill Lynch

How are you involved in agriculture? I grew up on a Christmas tree farm and purebred Hereford Cattle operation in Washington. The family has since moved to Olympia, WA and now focus only on breeding cattle that we show and market around the country.

Although, you grew up on farm you now live in the city. How do you keep your agriculture ties strong? I am lucky that my job allows me to still do the things I love and be involved in the family operation. It has been a way that the entire family stays close and in constant contact. My niece and nephew are now old enough to start showing, which I'm very excited about. I travel to nearly every show and try to stay as active in the breed association as possible. Another great thing about working as a financial advisor is that I have the opportunity to work with both businesses and individuals that are involved in agriculture around the country. We speak the same language and have the same passions and values. I would much rather talk business on a golf cart or gator in a pasture than wearing a suit inside.

What would be your favorite thing to do on date?
I enjoy a good meal as much as anyone, but I like to be active. So anything that involves the outdoors. Playing in or watching any sporting event is always high on my list.

Favorite activity off the farm? I'm a big college sports fan. UW is #1 in my heart but love the traditions and campuses of most any school. I also try to play golf, volleyball or softball when possible.

Favorite activity on the farm? I love barn time, you can even put that on the list of great dates. For me it is a stress release and where I'm truly happy. Anything from cleaning the barn or working with the cattle at home and seeing them develop.

Do you think the the Prince Farming Bachelor has a chance a finding a non farming girl to fall in love with? I think there is always that chance, but I would imagine it's much more likely it would be someone that has a little farming background and wants to be a part of and has a desire for that lifestyle.

Cook at home or dine out? And what would you be eating? - I generally cook at home. It's a safe bet it would be some variation of steak and potatoes.

Follow Mark on Twitter - @FinancialCows

So what kind of girl is going to end up with the Bachelor Chris Soules and become my neighbor. Or maybe one of my readers will get matched up with our #FarmerBachelor candidates! A big thank you to Mark and John for being good sports. 

11 comments:

  1. Love it! Cute idea Crystal! Hope they find someone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, can you find me one in Northern California???? LOL. Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun idea, Crystal! Are either of these guys interested in a Canadian farm girl?! I'm looking! And if you're interested in featuring Canadian farm girls, I would be game! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea Crystal. I really liked this post. Maybe something you should do regularly?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a bachelorette version coming up!

      Delete
  5. Adorable! I haven't watched the first episode yet, Matt refused. Shocking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm intrigued by this programme. Can't watch it here in Ireland but reports vary between describing it as brilliant and terrible! Must be much more interesting when the farmer is so close to you though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crystal Cattle pick me for the Bachlorette version, lol. All the guys at shool are atleast 5 years younger than me. (sigh!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what two great guys I can not believe that they have not been nabbed up! I guess if they like a farm girl, ag teacher and hard worker , pick me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow what two great guys I can not believe that they have not been nabbed up! I guess if they like a farm girl, ag teacher and hard worker , pick me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from all my readers. Hope you have a fabulous day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...